1. Carla Bruni. Oui. J’adore elle. I cannot stop listening to the CD, Comme Si de Rien N’Etait. Why didn’t somebody tell me this Cd was so good? If you do not have it do not order this CD from Amazon. com. No, go get in your car and go immediately to your local music store( do they still have them?) and buy it immediately and have the acne ridden slacker adolescent who checks you out open the Cd so you can listen to it in your car. I have to order the rest of her Cd’s immédiatement. But, I can do that on Amazon as I have one of her Cd’s to listen to now–over and over and over again.
I hate that I love her so. I mean she was born into enormous wealth and then fell into being a supermodel as she is so extraordinarily beautiful and then she had a panolpy of famous lovers and then decides to be a musician and does that with enormous ease and then marries the President of France. I mean, this woman is extremely hatable and yet all I can do is envy and admire her. I am capable of complicated emotions—I can hate and love one person all at the same time. I am complex like that.
My favorite song on the Cd is surprisingly in English. It is Carla’s breathless and ennui filled, You Belong to Me. As she sings about her lover being off in Egypt, I feel as if she is singing about Sarkozy which for reasons totally unclear to me up the steam factor in a big way. I guess I have a thing for sexy Presidents with a wondering eye. My Electra complex is clearly not resolved.
The Youtube below is not You Belong to Me. But, the video of L’amoureuse is lovely and has some beautiful shots of Paris. J’adore cette chanson aussi.
2. Five-year old aged Gouda from Whole Foods. This Gouda is so good-a. When I put it in my mouth my tongue dances. It tastes little bit like a softer Romano. It has those amazing flavor crystals in it that I love. I thought that the crystals were salt. But, the cheese monger told me they were sugar. I know even less about cheese than I do wine—but I know what I like and I love this cheese.
3. Bartlett pears with my aged Gouda. Just when I thought my amazing cheese could not get any better I then paired my cheese with the most delicious Bartlett pears. Heaven can be bought at Whole Foods. Pears and cheese were only $11.00. That is the cheapest purchase I have ever made at Whole Paycheck.
4. That I got myself to get on my in laws elliptical machine three days in a row. I am feeling like an athlete and when I say athlete I mean a person who can stay on the machine at thirty whole minutes at a time. I am aiming for two 30 minute sessions a day as some depressing research recently revealed that 60 minutes of exercise a day, seven days a week is necessary for weight loss.
5. In seven days we will be moved into our gorgeous temporary condo. Le sigh!! I am counting the days. I even considered putting on the blog one of those count down widgets to illustrate how much I am looking forward to having a room of my own.
6. Having had a very lovely lunch with the delightful, smart, funny and inspiring Notre vie Juteuse. As soon as I saw her sitting on the patio, sparkling with enormous joie de vivre, that outshown the perfect Manhattan Beach day, I knew it was her. We sat among the sea of Manhattan Beach housewives at Le Pain Quotidien and shared our passion for France and our stories about how we both became bloggers. I left our luncheon with a book reccomendation, a rekindled inspiration to try and get an agent, the name of a great dentist, and, most importantly, a new francophile friend. Merci, NVJ/ OJL, for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet for déjeuner!!
1. The tree gunk from my in-laws tree that is making my car look like an art installation by Andrew Goldsworthy.
2. Sarah Palin and people telling me I look like her when I have my hair up and my glasses on. I am not now and never will be a moose killing hockey mom. Nor am I a barracuda or a pit bull, I am a weasel. But, I do wear lipstick and I will be voting for Barack Obama.
3. Having to go back to get my roots done when they do not get them right the first time. If it happens again I am getting a new hairdresser. I haaaaaaatte that!!
4. Seeing Jay Mc Inerany on Gossip Girl. Wait, first I hated seeing Gossip Girl. But then to see that a one time literary great was slumming on this show made me coo-koo crazy. I know many people love it. I love much crap TV—but this is not my crap of choice. And, Jay, before you accept a walk on role on Ugly Betty ask yourself if this is something Jerome David Salinger would do. I am not expecting to see Douglas Coupland on the OC anytime soon or Tama Janowitz on the Hills. I suppose I would have to start watching those shows to see that happen. I was also horrified to see Salman Rushdie in the Bridget Jone’s film and I loved Bridget Jones as much as any journal keeping, weight watching, and Colin Firth loving gal.
5. Lately every time I use Smashbox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer I breakout. I need to find another primer that gives me the kind of results I grew to love from this product. Just a few drops of this gel always made me ready for my close ups with less visible pores, fewer fine lines and longer lasting makeup. Any suggestions on how to prime my canvas without getting acne-aftermath??
6. That I have missed the last four episodes of Weeds. I need to get Showtime On-Demand in our new condo. I am having a Weeds withdrawal. Please do not tell me what has been happening. I need to see it for myself. And
, why doesn’t I-tunes have episodes of Weeds until the seasons are complete?? Speaking of I-tunes injustices, why doesn’t I-tunes have any of Smith’s songs???Grrr!
7. That all the L.A. bloggers are off to France and I am very much in L.A. Just as soon as I arrive in SoCal the mass exodus to France begins. L.A. bloggers who are off to France on a semi to semi-permanent basis include: OJL/NVJ and Halfway to France. There are a few L.A. francophiles who are making shorter sojourns to the city of lights: Deja Pseu, and O2BFrench are very soon to travel to Paris. And, Karen at Of A Certain Age is in Paris now. Please L.A. bloggers don’t leave me here alone—either that, or take me with you.
Please share what you are presently loving and hating. No need to limit yourself to six. Let yourself rant.